Sunday, July 4, 2004, 10:33:11 AM, Kevin wrote:

KA> The original poster was working with HTML anyway. At that point there
KA> is no harm using an external application to copy a table in-line. Tens
KA> of millions of people use it this way (including myself) without
KA> difficulty.

KA> What exactly is your consern?

OK, I'm being a bit of a purist, but I feel in good company considering
the extensive anti-HTML email threads of times gone by.

I just think this:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
<TITLE>Title</TITLE>
<STYLE type="text/css">TABLE{border-collapse:collapse} TD{border:1px
solid;padding:1em;width:50%}</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<TABLE>
<TR><TD>Cell 1</TD><TD>Cell 2</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Cell 3</TD><TD>Cell 4</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY></HTML>

is better than this:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Microsoft Word 97">
<TITLE>Cell 1</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<TABLE BORDER CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=7 WIDTH=568>
<TR><TD WIDTH="50%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P>Cell 1</FONT></TD>
<TD WIDTH="50%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P>Cell 2</FONT></TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD WIDTH="50%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P>Cell 3</FONT></TD>
<TD WIDTH="50%" VALIGN="TOP">
<FONT SIZE=2><P>Cell 4</FONT></TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

<FONT SIZE=2></FONT></BODY>
</HTML>

The former was hand coded by me and validates 100% (and that's against
the Strict DTD). The latter was created in Word by starting a brand new
document, creating a 2 x 2 table and entering the cell contents. I then
immediately saved as HTML. Aside from taking an extra 100 bytes or so,
it has 2 types of error when validated and specifies a Windows character
set depite only containing 7 standard ASCII characters in its output.
Oh, and those errors are against the transitional DTD - which is far
more relaxed.  Anyone using FONT tags today should be taken out into the
woods and sh....(...own the correct way).

And yes, I know the two pages look different, but with less code I
solved the original poster's problem and if one were fussy about the
width then a simple ";width:568px" added to the TABLE style would fix
the only fundamental difference (actually, *I* think mine looks better
anyway).

That's my concern.

--
Cheers,