On Tuesday, October 5, 2004, 20:37:04, Mica Mijatovic wrote:

> We can use Morse too... did-it-ah-did-it. Ah, when we are already at
> dots and dashes... did you notice that if you start a line with a
> dot(s), then yahoo server adds two more? It also may alter thusly the
> PGP signed text and make signature BAD. See this, I'll begin next three
> lines with 1, 2, and 3 dots.

> .. is the first line.
> ... is the second one.
> .... is the third one.

SMTP and POP3 protocols use a single dot on a line as end-of-message marker.
Since this would prevent you from sending a dot on a line:
.
in the message body, all lines that start with a dot are escaped by
prepending them with another dot, and it's the client's task to strip that
dot from the line when displaying the message (and verifying it).

.  <- 1
.. <- 2
...<- 3

--
< Jernej Simoncic ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >
< for personal mail, replace guest.arnes.si with isg.si >

2 is not equal to 3 - not even for very large values of 2.
       -- Grabel's Law