Hello Mica Mijatovic & everyone else,

on 02-Apr-2005 at 16:34 you (Mica Mijatovic) wrote:

> It's pretty good said I admit, but am confused over your addressing to
> me, that is to my message, you para-reply to, to say so, since plainly
> *no* comment you exposed here is relating to what *I* wrote.

But of course you mentioned the free scanner AntiVir, and it had a poor
detection rate whenever I had the chance to compare it with other AV
products. I made this experience myself, and thus I allowed myself to bring
up the point against this particular scanner that you mentioned, and I
allowed myself to start with a more general contribution to the AV software
thread.

Now, in your very special way you sound as if you're slightly offended by
that. You don't need to. It may be that you are, right now, infected with a
virus, trojan, or adware dropper (while you are lulled in false safety)
because you are using an antivirus software that is insecure.

> depends exclusively on User as the crucial point in the entire AV system
> since it is governed -- by the User. No "higher intelligence" is present
> in there, and hence no a "best" software.

The "higher intelligence" behind any AV program is the vendor that supplies
the updates to the virus database of the program, and the update mechanism,
two things that are completely out of the users choice if he or she is led
to the wrong program because of recommendations based on the wrong
parameters.

> Someone might screw entire system up, using the "best" and "most
> expensive" software around (sounds familiar, you work in a service, no?),
> while someone else might make quite solidly protected system using almost
> -- anything!

I do not object. The best software isn't necessarily the most expensive.

But you're missing the point. The current state regarding the AV programs
is: the free scanners can not compete with the ones you have to pay for.
Its a simply as that. I've made this experience myself not only once, but
on various occasions with various (Windows based) systems (and I tried the
three free scanners AVG, AntiVir and BitDefender Free Edition). That may
change in the future maybe, with joined efforts of an open source or
freeware community, but it is not the case now.

> So let's not be deluded much about "perfection" and "the best" whatever
> in the realm of software, and especially of the "sensitive" one, as AV
> an similar ones are. (-;

Its not about perfection or bestestness (ungh) or sensitivity. Its simply
about security.

And while I enjoy your style and way of writing very much, and since I am
always happy if I can recommend a free alternative to (sometimes very
expensive) software, when it comes to security, I see no room for such a
discussion. As I said above, the current situation with AV programs leaves,
security-wise, no choice for a free program.

> "Testings" also serve, in a fine amount, to *sell* the "product", as the
> main goal, and are *not* "objective" all the way. In other words, they
> like to lie, and they do that. Like any hyperactive addicted seller. (-:

Thats why I wrote people should read not only one test, but at least three.
And, I'm not providing "test" results that I gained in a test-situation, I
just share the experience I made in a non-test situation.

> There is no a special avail in writing if it is not read, or is not done
> attentively. For instance, how do you succeed to see things I didn't
> write in my message you are meta-para-replying to? (-:

Well, these things happen on a public mailinglist. If I had anything to say
to your personally, I would've written a PM.

> I know, I know...it's not a big problem, you just mixed your legs, and
> it happens (to beings of many legs). Just remix them and try this again.

I did not mix my legs. I just wanted to add to the AV software discussion,
and I already explained why I picked your message for my reply.

 Alexander (http://www.neurowerx.de - ICQ 238153981)

I suspect that most of us get old without growing up, and that inside
every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants
everything his own way. (Bill Watterson)