Guten Morgen,

rg> Actually what I've been doing is using the VPN to connect to my LAN,
rg> then using VNC to remotely control the PC that is running TB!. The only
rg> VPN traffic is the screen redraws at 16 colors!

I see. For my taste this is a little sluggish - not a problem of the
overall throughput of the line but rather of the latency I'm sure. For
me having the application at hand (on the laptop) is more comfortable.

AS>> I'm therefore using Windows Offline Folders to synchronize the
AS>> laptops. When detached, they take with them the most recent message
AS>> base and when reconnected, they synchronize to the latest updates. If
AS>> something important comes up while not connected, the laptop can
AS>> always fetch or send new mail by itself and synchronize again later,
AS>> of course.
rg> Wouldn't you then end up with 2 identical folders that now cannot be
rg> synced properly? Wouldn't each one now have data the other does not have
rg> so neither can overwrite the other without loss of something?

That's true, but it's not an issue here because I'm using IMAP on all
accounts. When I come home with my laptop, all that's "in danger" are
e.g. emails that I've written on my laptop while disconnected and that
have not been sent yet.

In this case, when I get home and reconnect there is a conflict. I
then have two options:

a) I know that nothing important has changed on the "home" files. In
this case, I just have them overwritten with the "mobile" versions (or
v.v.) (The "home" files can get "dirty" already if I just browse
through folders while not making any modifications.)

b) There may be important changes amongst the "home" files. In that
case, I first establish a connection between my laptop and my IMAP
provider. After that, I can either take over the files of the "home"
version (the offline-changes of the home-version will be taken over to
the laptop - e.g. drafts -, and as soon as I connect to the IMAP
server again the changes from the mobile version will also be
introduced.)

I agree that it may be more complicated with POP3 where you don't have
the luxury of a "sync-friendly master copy" on the IMAP server. You
could also argue that with IMAP you wouldn't need the whole Offline
Folder sync business, but if you just synchronized each machine to the
IMAP server you would have to do this every time before disconnecting
the laptop. Now, whenever I turn on my laptop I can be sure to get the
same state my home network is in. If I used IMAP sync only, I would
additionally have to start TheBat every time to connect to the IMAP
server. That not only is an additional step that can't be automated
but also time consuming, bearing in mind TheBat's less than ideal IMAP
performance.

--
MfG,
 Alto                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]