Hello Stephane,

Thank you so very much for replying.

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 you wrote:

SB> Hi Jack,

SB> From your message, i could point some "errors" you've made...

SB> Your old laptop and your new one does not use the same system (32 bits vs
64 bits,...), and thus you cannot just restore any file/settings like that (and
certainly not any executable)...

I did not know this.  We bought the new laptop knowing that it would come with
Windows 7 installed but *NOT* realizing that it would be the 64 bit version.
Even had we known about it being 64 bit I would have automatically assumed that
it would function as the old 32 bit version did.

SB> "\PROGRAM FILES" folder is for program running natively on the system (on
your new system, 64 bits programs), when "\PROGRAM FILES(x86)" is for old 32
bits programs...

When I was attempting to restore the old backup onto the new  machine, the
Windows backup I had on my USB HDD didn't seem to work so I used the Carbonite
off-site backup to do the restore.  Then when I had trouble getting TB! to work
I looked at the folders on the C: drive and was surprised to find a PROGRAM
FILES folder *AND* a PROGRAM FILES(x86) folder.  Since I had no knowledge of
the structure of the 64 bit OS, I assumed I had somehow accidently created the
PF(x86) by first trying to do the restore with the old Windows backup,
abandoning that method and going with the Carbonite backup.

SB> Now you've placed some files of a 32bits program (The Bat!) in the 64 bits
folder, just the right way to have mistakes...

Perhaps, but at least TB! now seems to be working properly.  I have not yet
done a TB! backup but I'm thinking that might be a good idea and once
completed, flag the TB! backup as a file which should be included in the
on-going Carbonite backup.  That way presumably I would have a TB! backup
stored off-site.

SB> When you reinstall a new computer, you could of course restore your own
data, but you should not restore "settings" as settings are partly dependent of
the system.  Settings from your old computer may not be adapted to your new
computer (it's the case here with the PF directory name).

As I have painfully found out.

SB> For TheBat!, you have a backup/restore function to do what you want, much
more easily and without the need to pay HP for the support :)

Silly me.  I thought the Windows backup would be sufficient.  Thank goodness
for the Carbonite backup.  In defence of the Windows backup however; I might
have gotten it to work had I more time to fool with it but I was under
tremendous pressure to get the new machine up and running as soon as possible.

SB> Easy : on the old computer, you do a backup, on the new computer, you
install thebat, then you restore the backup.  done :)

Words to remember.

In light of your obviously superior knowledge of Windows, I'd like to ask what
you think of it's ability to create an "image" of whatever computer it's
running on. I discovered this ability of the 64 bit OS when I was setting up
the backup routine on the new machine.  I'm pretty sure this ability didn't
exist in the 32 bit version.  Unfortunately, the USB HDD I'm using for backup
is currently formatted as FAT32 and must be formatted to NTSF in order for the
"image" to be created.  As soon as I am comfortable that I have a good
Carbonite backup I'm going to re-format the USB HDD to NTSF and try to create
an "image" of this new machine.

Again, thank you for taking the time to educate me in the intricacies  of this
new (to me) OS.

--
Jack LaRosa                  mailto:jlar...@charter.net

Sticking with with The Bat! ver: 4.0.38 for now.
Operating? with Windows XP Pro ver 5 build 2600 Service Pack 3