Hello Stephane,

On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 you wrote:

SB> Hi Jack,

SB> Two points...

SB> 1. Creating an image of your running system is a good solution, but never
forget : it allow you to restore the whole working system, but on the same or
similar computer...  when you need to move to a new system (another hardware /
another OS), you should reinstall from scratch your apps and reconfigure from
scratch, only restoring datas....  there's of course a lot of "solutions"
allowing you to (partly) restore settings, but you would have a much better
system if you do not try to adapt your old settings on the new system, but
directly adapt your datas for the new settings of the new system.

Understood.

If I had had an image of the old laptop I could have simply replaced the blown
HDD and restored the image.  However, since neither I nor my wife ever trusted
the old laptop (erratic operation), we felt safer buying a brand new laptop.
My problems (read confusion) came about because as I mentioned, the old laptop
had been upgraded from native Win XP to Win 7.  My lack of knowledge of native
Win 7 caused me considerable consternation in trying to figure out how I had
managed to cause two PROGRAM FILES folders to appear on the C: drive.

If a similar HDD crash were to occur on this new laptop and I had an image of
the HDD before the crash, I would simply replace the HDD and restore from the
image. That would be my reasoning for creating an image of this new laptop. I
would create images, perhaps weekly, and then continue doing regular daily
routine (not image) backups.

SB> 2. You may migrate a fat partition to NTFS without the need to reformat and
thus without loosing the datas on it...  have a look at "convert.exe"
commandline utility....  what you need to know before : if you convert your USB
HDD to NTFS it could not be used anymore on something else than Windows...  it
means you cannot use it anymore to connect to a PS3, DVD Player, TV, Photo
Frame, audio car system,...  and it could be much more difficult to revert to
FAT than converting to NTFS, as windows itself does not allow natively to FAT32
format a partition bigger than 32GB...

The Western Digital "Passport" USB drive we use for backups on the laptop isn't
used for anything else so I wouldn't be losing any functionality by converting
to NTFS. But that information is good to know.

Thanks again for your help.

--
Jack LaRosa                  mailto:jlar...@charter.net

Sticking with with The Bat! ver: 4.0.38 for now.
Operating? with Windows XP Pro ver 5 build 2600 Service Pack 3