> On 1/11/07, Milan Davidovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 1/11/07, Gene Kim-Eng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > 4) The perception of technical writing as a "pink collar"
> occupation.
> >
> > Check this out:
> >
> > Dyeing The Pink Collar Mauve: Understanding Technical Communication As
> > A Gendered Solution To Learning, Career And Information Technology
> > Demands
> >
> > http://www.wallnetwork.ca/research/BJubasPaper.pdf
> >
> > "The development of more feminized niches within the IT field is
> > presented as a response by some women to the learning, career and IT
> > demands of the knowledge-based society. Technical communication seems
> > to be one of these niches."

"Gendered?" When did gender become a verb? It's actually pretty impressive: the
first paragraph of the abstract uses forms of "gender" as a noun, adjective,
and verb.

And I had no idea I worked in a "feminized niche." I just thought a lot of
technical writers were women. ;-)

Bob
"Love people. Use things. Not vice-versa." -- Kelly Rothaus

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.

DITA West 2007--Use a discount code of "TECHCOMMPROS" to get a discount rate of
$200 off the $800 price if you register before close of business January 15,
2007. http://www.travelthepath.com/conf/dita2007.shtml