Normally I like to work with two computers, a desktop with
maxed-out CPU and RAM for intensive work and a laptop
for situations requiring portability.  This is what I set myself
up with during the year I was "consulting" fulltime (and was
able to write it all off).  Most companies choke at the idea
of buying any employee two computers, so when I joined
the little startup I'm currently with I opted for the laptop,
because I've kept my home desktop updated with new HW
upgrades but not replaced my now five year old laptop and
reasoned that I could use remote access to offload anything
really computer-intensive to my home system.  At first I
thought I was trading computing power for portability, but
since then I've discovered that a number of the engineers
have desktop systems that don't measure up to what I was
able to get on this laptop.  So computer-wise, I'm a happy
camper here.

Gene Kim-Eng