> That makes me wonder, how many of you have less-than-adequate
> equipment for your jobs? I have everything I need here, but on my
> first tech writing job, I continually had to wait for the computer to
> catch up with what I'd typed or clicked.
>
> What kind of process do you have to go through to get what you need?
> Any other creative workarounds?

Currently we all have dev-grade machines and are on the same recycle
rotation as dev - a new tricked out machine every 3 years. The
machines we're recycling back into IT this year are 1.8 Ghz P4s with
240GB HDs and 2GB RAM, and the new ones we're getting are some kind of
high test (2.4 or 2.6 Ghz) Core2Duo machines with more than 400GB of
storage and the usual 2 GB of RAM (though we can optionally upgrade
that depending on the projects we're working on). One thing we have a
hard time getting, though, are replacement monitors. If they work,
we're stuck with them. Currently we all (except for me - I have a
dev-grade laptop) have 21" CRTs which suck up way too much space. If
we get approval to go flat panel, I'm going to ask that we all get
two. Of course that'll likely never happen.

My primary home machine is a 1.8Ghz Core2Duo with 2GB RAM and a 300GB
HD, complete with 22" widescreen ultrasharp LCD display. I also have
an older laptop (1.2Ghz P4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD), and two "ancient"
desktops... a P2 and a 486. The P2 is mainly a web access station at
this point, and the 486 is currently a doorstop.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter

Author Help files and create printed documentation with Doc-To-Help.
New release adds Team Authoring Support, enhanced Web-based help
technology and PDF output. Learn more at www.doctohelp.com/tcp.

DITA West 2007--Use a discount code of "TECHCOMMPROS" to get a discount rate of
$200 off the $900 registration price.
http://www.travelthepath.com/conf/dita2007.shtml