On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 13:38:32 +0100
Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:

> Basically, we have a pattern, mostly observed with kde (and a bit with
> gnome) which is really harmful for us.

> They occupy a few people in our team FULLTIME with respect to gnome, they're
> the reason we still DON'T have a full kde4 in our tree (hopefully to be
> addressed shortly), and they're the reason why sometimes we do drop old
> stuff (like killing gtk+1, and people really wanting to kill some gtk2/qt3
> stuff).

> It's also quickly turning Posix and Unix into a travesty: either you have
> the linux goodies, or you don't. And if you don't, you can forget anything
> modern...

Not to disparage the hard work by Antoine and others on Gnome and KDE, but if
upstream are going to entwine their code with non-standard OSs, then why bother
with them? If everyone but the mainstream Linux distros dropped their projects,
it seems a more likely way of getting through to the upstream developers than
joining their project or sending them emails.

I use Joe's Window Manager, it compiles in less than a minute straight from the
sources with no patching or tweaking. I don't have semi-transparent windowbars
and I had to make a couple of tweaks so I could hear a "beep" when I get an IM,
apart from that, what can a "modern" window manager do that is worth the some
porter's pain (and extra 10-20% cpu consumption to run) anyway?

Stuff like X is a different matter, if upstream must be battled, I would say
send the troops to defend what is hard to do without, not what is easy to do
without.

Brett.