>> If there are desires to improve this (I hear Naddy grumbling!) then the
>> stomach to break backwards compat must be present, or suggestions on how
>> to do it without breaking backwards compat must be suggested.
>
>My suggestion is two-fold:
>
>* Introduce a new format.  This new format will ignore # comments,
>  call ! commands, but otherwise pass on everything unchanged to
>  ifconfig.  I'm neutral on the matter of retaining "dhcp" and
>  "rtsol" as shortcuts for "!dhclient \$if" and "!rtsol \$if".
>
>* To maintain backward compatibility, retain the old parsing for
>  hostname.* files.  Interface configuration files in the new format
>  will have a different name; if.* or whatever.
>
>Does that sound workable?

Not really.  The netbsd experiment with ifconfig file format does
not appear to have been a success.

reason why? ifconfig has a really crummy argument parser, with all
sorts of side effects. hostname.* files were supposed to isolate
people from some of those nasty effects.

stated simply, it would not have helped Paul.  He would have made
the same mistake.