On Sat, Aug 19, 2023 at 03:11:46PM -0700, Andrew Hewus Fresh wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 04:42:49PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

> > > Does a single -v give enough feedback?
> >
> > As shown below, -vv is ridiculously verbose.
> >
> > I think -v is also too verbose.
>
> That makes sense to me.  Here's a fairly intrusive patch that in the
> normal case prints the status line "as we go" so you can see that it is
> doing something.  Errors from ftp are not super friendly, although I'm
> not entirely sure what it should do yet, so right now I do nothing.

Some additional detail on this.  One example is if the ftp process fails
to download a file, for example it is killed or times out or something
which results in (in the case of a SIGTERM):

$ doas ksh ./fw_update.sh
fw_update.sh: add intel /Terminated
Terminated
,inteldrm,iwm,uvideo,vmm; update none
Cannot fetch
http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/snapshots/intel-firmware-20230808v0.tgz

Would it be an improvement to provide more detail?

$ doas ksh ./fw_update.sh
fw_update.sh: add intel /Terminated
Terminated
(intel-firmware-20230808v0.tgz download failed),inteldrm,iwm,uvideo,vmm; update
none
Cannot fetch
http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/snapshots/intel-firmware-20230808v0.tgz

Since I don't know what, if anything, was printed by the failure,
it's hard to know how much would be helpful.

--
andrew

Full-time system administration is a delicate balance
    between proactiveness and laziness.
                      --  jhorwitz from use.perl.org