Don Simons skryf:

> This might be a good time to mention something about indices that I've often
> thought about. If you are viewing a document electronically rather than in
> hard copy, there's hardly any use for an index. Just text search for the
> entry you want. And if it's a tex document, then whether or not every
> occurrance gets into the index depends on the vigilance of the editor. A
> text search will not skip over any occurrances, and could very well be more
> accurate.

A well-made index is a great help, even for electronic viewing.  By well-made
I mean that it incorporates expertise on where to find the nitty-gritty.

Say I want to know something about \zqu.

A text search gives me a dozen hits.  Daniel's index gives me one: the
one I need.

And if you \usepackage{hyperref}, then you can just click the page
number in the index when viewing the PDF file and that puts you straight
on that page.

A poorly-made index is no use at all, I agree.

Dirk