Mimi,

A simple back-of-the-envelope calculation would be to divide the current tire
circumference by the previous tire circumference. This would give you an
estimate of the fractional difference the new, larger tire would travel for
each revolution of the tire. Using the numbers you supplied gives a value of
approximately 1.071. If you are used to driving at 60 m.p.h., in theory the new
tires would  actually be taking you at 60 x 1.071 = 64.26 m.p.h.

Of course this is a pretty simplistic estimate.

If you want to maximize your gas mileage, that's a more complicated experiment
that would need you to fill your gas tank (be sure to always use the same type
of gas--the higher the percentage of ethanol, the lower your mile per gallon),
drive a set distance at different speeds and re-fill the tank to see how much
you used. Oh, and be sure that the prevailing wind speed and direction is the
same every time you repeat the drive at the different speeds.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
(214) 645-6383 (office)
(214) 418-5827 (cell)