I would guess that the increase in mass of the tires has far less impact on the
increase in gas usage than the fact that the larger tire means that the vehicle
is traveling faster. The amount of drag associated with even a 5 mph increase
in speed at 60 mph would be plenty to cause a noticeable effect in reduced gas
mileage for an SUV-type vehicle such as a Ford Escape. We're not talking about
the world's most aerodynamic vehicle here, after all.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
(214) 645-6383 (office)
(214) 418-5827 (cell)
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu>

On Jul 31, 2012, at 11:41 PM, "Nico Escamilla"