From: philipm...@juno.com [mailto:philipm...@juno.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 7:31 AM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Help - speed, tire size change

Mimi,
While most everything said is accurate enough, one important factor has been
left out.  Your current mileage is better than you think; your odometer and
speedometer are different measurements by the same instrument.  Since your
speedometer is under-reporting your speed, your odometer is also
under-reporting your mileage.  Some of your "mileage loss" is not lost and is
merely appearing to be lost just because you are traveling more miles than your
odometer records.

If you have an electronic speedometer, like almost all vehicles do these days
like my 2001 Dodge, you can have the speedometer recalibrated for not much.  I
had mine done last month for $16 and it just takes a few minutes.
Recalibration helps check your mileage accurately because your nominal or even
measured tire diameter is not the rolling diameter and it helps avoid speeding
tickets.

An example of rolling diameter vs. manufacturer's stated diameter: My tire
diameter is 36.3 inches, but according to my GPS and my calculations, my
rolling diameter is only 34.75 inches (580 revolutions per mile vs. 555
revolutions per mile).  Tires are not steel wheels and have considerable
deformation while driving.

Philip Moss
philipm...@juno.com