Been quite a while since I let anyone know how he is. Since this was a
milestone day - 80th birthday! - I figured it was time for those who might
wonder or care.

It has been over a year since his event, and I feel he is so much better in a
number of ways, but not in others. We can actually have semi-regular
conversations now about things. Memory issues still a problem, and some days I
feel his short term memory is getting worse. But he still seems better
communication wise. We found out he is one of those rare individuals who can
not go off blood thinners, for after putting the device in his heart to prevent
clots and get him off these, he had the clot which caused all this damage
within weeks of stopping them. So now he is on the worst one you can be on, has
to get blood draws every two weeks to a month to check his numbers, and watch
certain things in his diet. He started having weird seizures after the first of
this year (Gelastic), made 911 trips in ambulance twice to the hospital, and
did a 72 hour at home brain EEG in late March. I took my mandatory week off
then, for the caregiver is totally involved in that! Since he never had a
seizure during test, they could not pinpoint location nor definite type, but
have to treat symptoms we had. So back on dosage levels he had right after
original event. No more seizures to date so far.

Besides simply falling behind in his memory exercises, I have also not kept up
with his PT. I am it, and after working 30-40+ hours a week, coming home every
day at lunch to be with him, plus errands, groceries, bill paying etc, I just
run out of energy. I have begun to worry about physical changes I have noticed,
but at his annual checkup his doc said something about this. Weight gain can be
lack of exercise, but also some of his meds! Curvature of spine can be stroke
related!? He said the brain does not communicate with the muscles like it used
to, so when before Jim could know to keep his back straight and the muscle
memory would do this, that no longer happens?! I was like oh! So the strength
exercises could help, but in a way his brain would be working against this? I
will still try to do better for both of us - maybe.

We are both fully vaccinated - doc took care of that as we were on their list
and due to his health issues considered high risk. As his caregiver, I got
bumped up too! I will have some modifications done in our bathroom to turn our
tub into a shower, for I almost could not get him out recently due to his
fatigue level. Safety first. (Retire never?!)

His use of phone has changed, as some who have tried to call may have noticed.
He watches movies etc on his phone, and will not answer a call unless I am
there for him to ask if he should! He ignores all, which is tough if I need to
check on him. I think after being home he began to feel safe, and does not need
the outside world as much anymore.

As for me, this last year has taken a toll, and has created some health issues
for me. Am dealing with things, and just keep plugging along. We are still
here, have each other, and take each day as it comes. We’ve got 46 years now
together, and I’ve always told him I want 50 or more if I can get them! Kind of
up to me!!

Stay safe, be well, and go caving!

Mimi Jasek

Sent from my iPhone