In my case, I kept the tags but removed all usage of the tag filter
operator. My TW now has 63k entries, and, in a meeting the other day,
I was able to look up entries about as fast as people asked. But that was
using a Kindle Fire, which might have a stronger processor
than a motorola phone.

I don't believe you've mentioned what browser you're using. My tests were
on an old version of FF that I'm not upgrading because it
can still use TiddlyFox.

It might be worth experimenting with different browsers. I believe browser
makers have wide latitude in how they implement JS internals.

Good luck!