Dave,

The federation components I am (slowly) working on will handle inter-server
syncing in a way that doesn't break anything. The problem is that they need
to be able to connect to each other which can be a problem if you don't
have any open to the outside world. You would be able to have each of the
servers (home and at work) sync with your phone to carry the changes
between the two.

Some of my other work involves getting iOS and android builds of node
content which would make putting Bob on a phone much easier, but I don't
think that will happen anytime soon.