Actually, it worked perfectly, Mat! I don't mind adding fields to the ones
I need to be different--I just didn't want to add fields to the ones I
wanted to stay the same, too! I thought perhaps I would need to, not
realizing you could have it use another field if that was empty. I swapped
the tiddler title and sorting titles, realizing my mistake (I mistook the
additional field as the sorting title, not display), and after refreshing
the TiddlyWiki it worked. Now my list is perfectly alphabetized and
displayed in my sidebar. I may leave some of the other lists as-is for the
time being (I'm still using list-links in many places) but I'm pleased to
have a proper display for navigation. I'll post that code again in case
someone else finds this topic while searching for help:
<$list filter="[tag[book1]]">

<$transclude field=nick>
  <$transclude field=title/>
</$transclude>
</$list>

Mark, I agree with your point about planning for less standard sorting
conditions! If you don't mind and have the time, would you be willing to
break down your example's components a bit? You don't have to get very
specific, but I'm interested in knowing how it works and there's quite a
few nested pieces.

And noted, Mario! I will check out Github more for sure, though likely as a
silent observer!