Aw shucks, thanks Tones.  Well-wishes and notes of sympathy are always
appreciated !

I've always had a sense of loyalty and dedication, so however banged-up, I
just could not give up on my employer.  Employer giving up on me is,
strangely enough, a huge sense of relief ... freedom!

All things unfold as they are meant to.  Cue The Story of the Chinese Farmer
<https://wellsbaum.blog/alan-watts-story-of-the-chinese-farmer/> .

Well, now I have "freedom" on the brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMS2VnDveP8