Is it reasonable to call something *deprecated* if it hasn't been announced
as such by the author? That's the best term I can think of, though it is a
little bit on the technical side.

My concerns with the other suggestions:

   - "Obsolete" sounds like it is no longer necessary, it has been
   superseded, which isn't necessarily true
   - "Antiquated" seems oddly formal (plus it would seem to have the same
   negative feeling of "old", to whatever extent that's a problem).
   - "Vintage", as Jeremy said, has a positive connotation that doesn't
   seem right.
   - "Disused" is closer, but seems like it conveys something about how
   many people actually use it (which we don't in fact know), rather than
   whether you *should* use it.

*Deprecated *means it shouldn't be used if you can find another solution,
and it's about whether people think you should use it, not about its raw
age or how many people actually do use it. The only issue I'm thinking of
right now is that it might suggest that it still works, which isn't
necessarily the case.