Thanks everyone!

Mario:

> Could you be more exact, what image map means for you.

A centred 500x500px image with hotspots that 'change' when moused-over. I
played with it outside of TW using jQuery as suggested at [1].

Because it's animated GIFs, the whole artwork is close to 1Mb. May needs
trimming, but I'm keen to hear how you deal with loading times.

Mario, what is the trick behind the expand-on-hover sidebar in the neui-em
theme? That'd be handy.

Mitchke and Måns, thanks for the links - nice stuff. Måns's example page [2]
looks especially close to my aim (though I don't need my tiddlers to be
moveable).

Mitchke:

> I don't know if in a 'normal'TW you couldn't add an extra div to the

template, place a tiddler there, give that div a low z-index or
> position it in such a way with css so that the rest of the display
> area renders on top of it. Give it a try...

Looking at Måns's example space, this might work with z-index specified in
pasteUp...?

Off to experiment.

[1]
http://www.workwithchoicecuts.com/methodology/revisiting-the-html-image-map/