Hi,

Thanks Poul for your reply.  As you said different use cases for
uuid's and identity would lead to different designs.  I think we
nonetheless should standardize on something and say tiddler standard
version 1 somewhere in a tiddler field.  Then we can upgrade later on
always.

@Tobias  Your last post makes it as if it is a heavy burden to do the
uuid stuff which would be better done on a server.  I don't think so.
It can (should!!) be done client side.  And you propose a quite heavy
process with naming conventions and standards.  I would rather define
a minimum and leave extensions open.

Client side examples which would benefit from a minimal uuid standard
are: there where (are) some tw's who exchange tiddlers through rss
with no server explicitely involved.  The same goes for upgrading a
tw.  How does tw know if a plugin has changed?  Some brittle
convention.  If there was a machine readable date field and uuid a tw
could "know" that a plugin was newer.  I think in the tw universe it
is important to have the basic uuid capabilities in the client (tw).

@Chris and others
I mentioned Ward's federated wiki quite some times because he has a
concrete specification:

https://github.com/WardCunningham/Smallest-Federated-Wiki/wiki/Story-JSON

{
    "title": "Welcome Visitors",
    "synopsys": "The first federated wiki page written and often first
page viewed.",
    "story": [
        {
            "id": "7b56f22a4b9ee974",
            "type": "paragraph",
            "text": "Welcome to the federated wiki. This page was
first drafted
                     Sunday, June 26th, 2011, at indie-web-camp. You
are welcome
                     to copy this page to any server you own and
revise its welcoming
                     message as you see fit. You can assume this has
happened many
                     times already."
        },
        {
             "id": "8d8a6cf94b72e848",
             "type": "image",
             "width": "300px",
             "height": "200px",
             "caption": "Ward's Lighted Electric Bike at [http://
www.shift2bikes.org
                         /cal/viewpp2011.php#24-2144 Pedalpalooza]",
             "url": "/lit-and-loud.jpg"
        }
    ],
    "trail": [
                "http://fw.indiewebcamp";,
                "http://c2.com/~ward/fw";
    ],
    "journal": [
                  {"type":   "edit",
                   "id":     "15411293042b2735",
                   "text":   "the paragraph now says this"}
    ]
}

This looks somewhat similar to the tiddlyweb JSON for a tiddler.  The
main difference is the use of the id's (uuid's) and the journal.  the
journal is what helps do track changes and I would propose to add it
additionally to uuid's.  But I would leave using the journal
optional.  That would mean there is a standard way to track history
and merges, but a client or server is not obliged to use it.

A creator/editor field would be nice also.  However without
authentication/cryptographic signing it probably will be forged
sometime and it will be more of a convention than a reliable
authorship field.

Now also cryptographic signing could be nice for tiddlers and I could
think of a lot of additional possibilities.  Therefore the tiddler
field protocol should be extensible with optional fields which can be
ignored at will through a client or server.

The main problem is as Chris stated:
>Okay that makes more sense. I'm not sure how or who to decide the
>syntax and semantics.

For that we need some process.