On Saturday, 21 July 2012 21:40:15 UTC+10, Chris Dent wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2012, tejjyid wrote:
>
> > I created a tiddler called "tsjuly" as per some posting related to
> > this...should I repost here?
>
> The idea was to tag the tiddler tsjuly, so if you add that tag, it
> will show up on the radar.

If only I could read; OK, will do.

> > I have never had a clear idea of how Tiddlyspace is supposed to work,
> nor
> > its relation to Tiddlywiki. Pretty much every time I try to use some
> plugin
> > - painfully tracked down - it turns out to be TW specific. The comment
> made
> > further down here - that TW should be about TW and TS about tiddlers I
> find
> > particularly bewildering: I thought TW was about tiddlers? And I thought
> TS
> > was about collaboration?
>
> What do you mean by "TW specific"?

TiddlyWiki specific; that is, there are a number of plugins that work in
the TiddlyWiki file format that don't work in Tiddlyspace.

> > And how does one use TW, if not through tiddlers? And what/where are the
> TS
> > interfaces that expose tiddlers without exposing TW?
>
> The idea there is that TiddlyWeb makes it possible to work with
> tiddlers outside of tiddlywiki. For example your tsjuly tiddler
> (assuming this is yours) can be reached on the web like this:
>
>     http://andrewsimon.tiddlyspace.com/tsjuly
>
> From which I can make a bookmark, that quotes it:
>
>     http://cdent-bkm.tiddlyspace.com/tsjuly

I understand that now, but I note that you introduced a "new" concept,
TiddlyWeb to explain it.

> > (And in fact, how does that gel with this, from the docs space?
> > A space may be thought of as a TiddlyWiki hosted on TiddlyWeb.)
>
> As you've noted the docs are a bit inconsistent, but it is true that a
> space may be thought of as a tiddlywiki hosted on tiddlyweb. It may
> also be thought of a collection of tiddlers that are present on the
> web. My main space doesn't use tiddlywiki at all, it just operates as
> a more standard wiki:
>
>     http://cdent.tiddlyspace.com/

I know it's true that a space MAY be thought of as a tiddlywiki hosted on
tiddlyweb, but it's clearly a bit misleading.

> You might ask, why bother? What do I gain from not using TiddlyWiki.
> For me what I get is more direct access to the tiddlers without
> TiddylyWiki being in the way. Each of those tiddlers can be access and
> edited directly over the HTTP API that tiddlyweb present.

I would never ask "why bother"; my questions would be much more along the
lines of
a.) Why keep it secret?
b.) What are some ideas for how/when/why to think about when to use each
path?

> The canonical URI of that HelloThere tiddlers is:
>
>     http://cdent.tiddlyspace.com/bags/cdent_public/tiddlers/HelloThere
>
> it can be accessed in other representations. Here are some (but not
> all):
>
>     http://cdent.tiddlyspace.com/bags/cdent_public/tiddlers/HelloThere.txt
>
> http://cdent.tiddlyspace.com/bags/cdent_public/tiddlers/HelloThere.json
>
> http://cdent.tiddlyspace.com/bags/cdent_public/tiddlers/HelloThere.atom
>
> Using the web API it can be changed and manipulated by a large number
> of tools, including, but not limited to TiddlyWiki.
>
> > Plus you say "We haven't been very good about exposing functionality":
> > Endorsed!
>
> You might wish to read this posting in the [tiddlyspace] group where I
> explain some of the reasons for this:
>
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tiddlyspace/g3SOnPGX8_U/_7KhIpyrv_QJ
>
> > I'm actually quite keen to get involved in documenting stuff - but I
> have
> > no idea where or how to start.
>
> I recommend you get in contact with pmario and mat mentioned in that
> thread referenced just above. They appear to have some plans and hopes for
> improving and consolidating the TiddlyWiki aspects of TiddlySpace.

Well, I will - but I note that you haven't mentioned collaboration at all,
and I don't quite understand where it fits in to what you have said.
"Collaboration", as a use-purpose, and the primary reason I switced from
Tiddlyspot to Tiddlyspace, wouldn't be expected to be specific to one of
json/wikify/htm/txt/atom access methods, would it?. So is it built into
TiddlyWeb? Or is it a red herring? Or something else?

It's not a given that I'm necessarily interested in the Tiddlywiki
interface - it's just what I happen to know right now, and what I guess
most people coming into Tiddlyspace know. What I'm interested in is
functionality around collaborative work practices.