Hi Eric

There are some error use cases I wonder about:

> Let's say you have a tiddler called "Lesson1" with the "list" field set to:
>> [[First Bit]] SecondBit FinalBit
>> You'll also need to create the named tiddlers.
>>

> What happens if a tiddler named in the list does not exist?

Nothing; the tiddlers named in the list don't need to exist.

>> Then, create a new tiddler called "Navigation" with the tag
>> "$:/tags/ViewTemplate" and the following content:
>> Next: <$list filter="[is[current]next[Lesson1]]"/> / Previous: <$list
>> filter="[is[current]previous[Lesson1]]"/>
>>

> What does the filter produce if the "Lesson1" tiddler is missing or the
> list field is empty?

If the list tiddler doesn't exist then the next and previous filter
operators always return an empty list.

> Now if you open a tiddler like "SecondBit" you should see at the bottom
>> the controls to move to the next and previous tiddlers.
>> The next and previous filter operators work by locating the currently
>> selected tiddler(s) in the named list, and returning the adjacent next or
>> previous tiddler from the list.
>>

> What if the same tiddler title in the named list more than once...  which
> occurence does the filter match as the "current selected tiddler"?

Currently it would return the entries adjacent to the first instance of the
current tiddler.

> What does the [[Navigation]] template display if the current tiddler is
> not in the list at all?

At the moment it still displays the Next: and Previous: text with no
accompanying links.

We need a way for the reveal widget to hide or show content depending on
whether a filter evaluates to zero or more entries.

When you reach the start/end of the list, does it loop around to the
> end/start, or just stop?

It stops at each end of the list.

> If navigation doesn't loop, when you reach the start/end, can display of
> non-functional links be suppressed?

No links are displayed at the ends of the list.

> Will there also be a [first[Lesson1]] and [last[Lesson1]] so a complete
> "FPNL" (First/Previous/Next/Last) navigation bar can be displayed?

Good idea, there should be. I've created a ticket:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/241

Best wishes

--
Jeremy Ruston