Thanks Jeremy, et al., for your help.  This indeed works (see attached
screenshot) and I'd like to ask a couple more questions (see inline).

Thanks again,
Jim Weaver

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:43:25 PM UTC-5, Jeremy Ruston wrote:

> Hi Eric
>
> There are some error use cases I wonder about:
>>
>> Let's say you have a tiddler called "Lesson1" with the "list" field set
>>> to:
>>> [[First Bit]] SecondBit FinalBit
>>> You'll also need to create the named tiddlers.
>>>

>> What happens if a tiddler named in the list does not exist?
>>

> Nothing; the tiddlers named in the list don't need to exist.
>

>>> Then, create a new tiddler called "Navigation" with the tag
>>> "$:/tags/ViewTemplate" and the following content:
>>> Next: <$list filter="[is[current]next[Lesson1]]"/> / Previous: <$list
>>> filter="[is[current]previous[Lesson1]]"/>
>>>

>> What does the filter produce if the "Lesson1" tiddler is missing or the
>> list field is empty?
>>

> If the list tiddler doesn't exist then the next and previous filter
> operators always return an empty list.
>

>> Now if you open a tiddler like "SecondBit" you should see at the bottom
>>> the controls to move to the next and previous tiddlers.
>>> The next and previous filter operators work by locating the currently
>>> selected tiddler(s) in the named list, and returning the adjacent next or
>>> previous tiddler from the list.
>>>

>> What if the same tiddler title in the named list more than once...  which
>> occurence does the filter match as the "current selected tiddler"?
>>

> Currently it would return the entries adjacent to the first instance of
> the current tiddler.
>

>> What does the [[Navigation]] template display if the current tiddler is
>> not in the list at all?
>>

> At the moment it still displays the Next: and Previous: text with no
> accompanying links.
>
> We need a way for the reveal widget to hide or show content depending on
> whether a filter evaluates to zero or more entries.

Is that something I can do through modifying the list filter, or would
something need to be modified in the core?

Also, would it be possible using the current version
(5.0.0-alpha.16-prerelease) for me to create Previous and Next buttons
that, when clicked, navigate to the desired tiddlers?  The Previous button
would need to be disabled or not visible when on the first tiddler, and the
Next button would need to be disabled when on the final tiddler.