I have still been trying to figure out why undo was acting strange and I am
so close. I think that the functionality was all there. It is just a matter
of doing something like the following, but I can't quite figure it out how
to capture the text of the hidden dummy iframe after the undo but nothing
seems to work:
in undo.js:

    document.execCommand("undo", false, null);
    operation.replacement = textarea.value;

or

    document.execCommand("undo", false, null);
    operation.replacement =
this.parentDomNode.getElementsByTagName("textarea")[0].value;

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/18141e07-71d2-4f69-b93b-44b2f7833ac9%40googlegroups.com.