Hi Matt

Just to add to the answers from others,

> I'm also somewhat confused about why we have javascript macros then, and what
> the difference is there.

The objective of TiddlyWiki’s security restrictions is to make it possible to
safely share content between users. That requires that JavaScript code be
clearly identified so that the recipient can decide whether to trust it enough
to execute it or not; if we allowed inline JavaScript within fragments of
wikitext then a recipient couldn’t know whether they could safely render
incoming wikitext.

So, JavaScript macros are permitted because they are readily identified as
such, and can be blocked when required.

The other factor in TiddlyWiki’s design that affects the use of third party
JavaScript libraries is that TiddlyWiki doesn’t support the traditional web
development paradigm of keeping state data in the DOM (this is the paradigm
popularised a decade ago by jQuery). Instead, TiddlyWiki uses a virtual DOM and
differential updates (this is the paradigm used by recent frameworks like
React). The net effect is that TiddlyWiki generally doesn’t support just
dropping in a <script> tag like traditional web pages. Having said that, the
TiddlyWiki plugin library contains numerous examples of properly integrating
third party libraries.

Best wishes

Jeremy

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0355501D-83E3-4094-A19F-AA5A4F42303A%40gmail.com.