On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 11:47:45 AM UTC-7, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

> *BUT: your approach seems to FOG that up with native saving.*
>
> *I'd RATHER talk about EXTERNAL BACKUP on that rather than what reads like
> a series of complex EXTRA steps.*

It's clear what you'd "rather" talk about.  But in the process, you are
summarily dismissing "download saving" as being "complex extra steps" when
they are NOT complex, and the "extra" steps are minimal.  To re-iterate...
here's the steps to using the download saver:

   1) click save
   2) double-click index.html (from system-standard "file save" dialog box)
   3) click OK (a simple modal "are you sure" confirmation popup)
   4) press F5

...and out of these 4 ***exceedingly** simple steps, TWO of them (steps 1
and 4) are *exactly* the same as when using TiddlyFox or other 'saver'
addons.

And, if we factor in the "complexity" of installation... external backup
solutions require researching, choosing, downloading, installing and
configuring some variety of backup software that is typically either a
completely separate stand-alone application (yet another thing to learn!),
or injects itself into the operating system to "automagically" back up
changes.  Sure, within your own usage paradigm, browser add-ons (TiddlyFox)
combined external backup systems might produce the best workflow for YOU...
but for many, many people, installing add-ons and 3rd-party software can be
beyond their abilities, or may even be completely prohibited by their work
environment.

By comparison, enabling "always ask for location to download" is a simple
settings change to an application that is already installed (the browser).
 Just to be clear... here's ALL the steps required for the ONE-TIME
configuration of the download saver solution.  (note: I use Chrome)

1) select browser command menu (upper right corner, 3-dots icon)
2) select Settings
3) scroll down to the bottom
4) select "advanced settings"
5) scroll down to "download" section
6) check "ask where to save each file before downloading"
DONE.

So... to summarize the complete impact of using the download saver:

* configuration: change one setting in your browser
* usage: adds a double-click and a single-click

oh.. and one more thing... what happens to your external backup strategy
when you start traveling with your TW documents and need to use someone
else's system to make some changes to your files?  They may not have ANY
external backup software installed and, even if they do, in might not be
anything like what you are using on your system, and would you really want
YOUR files backed up in THEIR system?  Once you leave their home/office,
you won't have access to those backups anyway, and might be leaving behind
data you didn't intend to share.... and let's not even consider the issues
with using public internet cafe's.

With download saving and a USB stick, you have a nearly 100% portable
solution that allows you to work with virtually ANY browser you may
encounter, with NO dependencies on any other applications and no data left
behind.

-e

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/cc44aa93-8978-49d7-8e7b-40a9e5ea1295%40googlegroups.com.