Hello,

is[current] is a selection modifier, so it acts on a selection of tiddlers.
If you don't select tiddlers beforehand with a selection constructor
<http://tiddlywiki.com/#Selection%20Constructors> (all, title, list, ...),
it operates on all[tiddlers] by default. So in order to select directly the
current tiddler, the best operator is all[current]. is[current] is better
used for checking if a tiddler amongst a tiddlers previously selected is
the currentTiddler, it should not be used as a first step.

If you run your test, you can see that all[current] has approximatively the
same performances as <currentTiddler>.

NB
This commit
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/commit/b7f674c51a151e6bc687a1e0a23e58d28414e12a>

introduced the all[current] instead of is[current] whose two roles as
selector and modifier were misleading.
I think there has been discussions about is[current] and all[current] in
the past years, but... "all is current operator" is not a distinctive
search enough...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/40eb0535-ccde-4bc8-a9db-126429440d08%40googlegroups.com.