The issue is that the assignment doesn't work like that.  You can't assign
to a field like that, regardless of whether it's math or text or anything
else.  The equals sign is just another letter when it's used in html.
 You'd probably need to play around with macros and the <$action-setfield>
widget to get what you want to happen. AS you can see in your example. The
<$calc> widget did add the two fields together resulting in the 8 you see
in the example.

Matt Lauber

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/adcb2e66-a2d4-4202-bfc9-1d8c626affe0%40googlegroups.com.