Hi Jon,

Reading local text files is possible, I use d3.js and some inline
JavaScript in FF57.
Download the d3.js from github, past it in a tiddler and tag with
systemConfig.
Paste the following inline js in a tiddler and provide the right
path/filename and tiddlername to save. InlineJavascriptPlugin is required.

<script>
  d3.text("path/filename.txt", function(data) {
  store.saveTiddler("LoadedDataD3", "LoadedDataD3", data,
config.options.txtUserName, new Date(), "tags")
  })
</script>

There you go.

Have a nice day, Okido