Okido, that's an absurdly simple and effective solution that, delightfully,
also works fine *without* TiddlyDesktop or TiddlyServer. Subdirectories
work, so I have no problem with being restricted to the download directory.
Robert, thank you for that helpful link! I didn't know about either
MicroTiddlyServer or that a Classic group had formed. Very useful on both
counts.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/60175d6d-a4ca-4a28-8bba-93df27452588%40googlegroups.com.