On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 5:16:00 PM UTC+1, @TiddlyTweeter wrote:

> from another thread, relevant here ...
>
> Jeremy Ruston wrote:
>>
>> ... In retrospect I was far too influenced by Markdown back in 2011/12
>> when TW5 wikitext was first being defined.
>>

> Side note I want to make on just this point about Markdown. I remember
> when Markdown emerged (as an end-user / avid blogger) thinking "this is a
> godsend". But also, "this is likely to become a somewhat messy non-standard
> standard long-term" -- because its "just too easy." If you get what I mean?

It actually is a standard type (since 2016) text/markdown (RFC 7763
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7763>), and this makes it even stronger.
The good thing, that markdown already had a lot of different dialects, as
the standard was developed, they where also registered as markdown-variants
(RFC 7764), which can be specified in the mime type. The variant servers as
a hint for parser, what to do. .. If it doesn't know something, it just
renders it as plain/text.

See: RFC 7764 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7764> - Guidance on Markdown:
Design Philosophies, Stability Strategies, and Select Registrations

RFC 7764 also formalizes the registration process
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7764#page-10> for MD-variants. ... So TW
syntax, that is out of range in MD atm could be made a variant, imo without
loosing functionality.

the mime type with a variant <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7763#page-9>
looks like this:

As you pointed out, there is a lot missing in "original" markdown, but now
there is a formalized mechanism to register all kind of new very specific
syntax additions. ...
AND TW is _not_ one of them. So in the long run we will loose, if we don't do
it right.

As you pointed out. TW has the potential, to convert one syntax to an other
(with some limitations). ... BUT ... not with the internal AST, that we use at
the moment.
See my first post. ATM we are loosing whitespace information.

just some thoughts
mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/54ac0ad1-6b68-4351-b238-b73d2cd81498%40googlegroups.com.