With all the talk about esoteric concepts like "Quines", I was surprised
that TW5 had the same fundamental problem  that TWC had. In database
parlance, you never use the same field for more than one thing. This is law
#1 of database normalization, which allows for massive amounts of data to
be processed every day even by relatively low-powered computers.

The title field is being used for at least 3 jobs: title, ID, and system
flag. There should be 3 fields for each of these tasks. A beginner error is
to then use it for something else (like dates).

The fix is to use something like uni-links so that the title field can be
used as an immutable ID field. Another fix would be a tool that, when you
change a title, finds and replaces all links. I thought there was a promise
of such a thing a long time ago.

My general formulation for unique titles is

The mistake would be, of course to use the title to *store* the date. I'm
just using it here to keep things unique without having to think too hard.

Beginners using TW and used to full-fledged Wikis and other systems (Zim?
Wikidpad?) will probably be surprised when changing titles doesn't also
change links.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/260b7335-a516-48f2-96c3-f2dc17266f11%40googlegroups.com.