I don't want to derail this thread at all, but I have a slightly related
issue. I'm hoping you may be able to help me figure it out (obviously, you
owe me nothing, and I appreciate your consideration to any degree).

I believe I'm experiencing a memory leak which may be related to
TiddlyBackup (the only extension that consistently works for me). I use
FF61, Manjaro, and I save probably ~100 a time day (or more). I'm using
between 5-15GB (including swap) of RAM on FF which only has my wiki loaded.
When I close it out, and reload, I'm back down to minimal FF memory usage.
Clearly, I am doing something wrong. I spend a good chunk of my time in
Tiddlywiki (https://philosopher.life/) that I'm willing to spend 15GB of
memory if I need to. I'd rather not though.

I have it set to 10 Backups; my wiki is ~18MB in size.

I can't reproduce it other than just through my daily usage. From a freshly
opened browser, I can spam save 20 times in a row, and my memory usage will
balloon up for 15 minutes, but eventually something cuts away at quite a
bit of it (still using 3GB of memory instead of 2GB on startup). However,
over the course of a day, it builds up and doesn't get culled away. i woke
up this morning with almost max memory usage which was solved by just
closing the FF for TW (I use FF dev ed for browsing). I'd prefer to only
close the browser when I've got an excellent reason.

I may just eventually move to the NPM version, but I've experienced other
kinds of problems with it.

I'm probably thinking about this all wrong-headed, and I would be grateful
for any insight you may have to quelling this problem.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/21f6e4de-8319-4eeb-a374-93ca06abc47f%40googlegroups.com.