On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 7:29:12 PM UTC+2, h0p3 wrote:

> I believe I'm experiencing a memory leak which may be related to
> TiddlyBackup (the only extension that consistently works for me).

TiddlyBackup or file-backups

Which version do you use?

> I use FF61 (TiddlyBackup, Owl, AdNauseam, English Popup Dictionary,
> ScrollAnywhere; fairly vanilla otherwise), on Manjaro, and I save probably
> ~100 a time day (or more). I'm using between 5-15GB (including swap) of RAM
> on FF which only has my wiki loaded.

Latest FF version do have a "debugging tab" called: about:memory
If you type:   about:memory    into the URL line you'll get the info. ..
There is a lot of it! ..   window-objects are the interesting ones.

Since FF57 the program is "multi threaded". So we have a main-process ...
which basically does the management and we have.  Web Content (pid xxxx)
windows

The Web Content windows contain the different tabs. ... So you can see the
memory consumption per tab. ... This is the interesting stuff ... that you
can check after some usage and / or some save events.

*I'll also have a closer look* .. using your TW  for testing

When I close it out, and reload, I'm back down to minimal FF memory usage.
> Clearly, I am doing something wrong. I spend so much time in Tiddlywiki (
> https://philosopher.life/) that I'm willing to spend 15GB of memory if I
> need to. I'd rather not though.

I'm not sure, if the FF-OS thread gives allocated memory back to the
system, even if the running program FF doesn't use it anymore. ...

> I have it set to 10 Backups; my wiki is ~18MB in size.

That shouldn't be a problem. ... but I'll have a look.

> I can't reproduce it other than just through my daily usage (and that
> isn't terribly consistent either). From a freshly opened browser, I can
> spam save 20 times in a row, and my memory usage will balloon up for a
> minutes, but eventually something cuts away at quite a bit of it (still
> using 3GB of memory instead of 2GB on startup).

I do have an ubuntu machine. So I can test there too.

> However, over the course of a day, it builds up and doesn't get culled
> away. Is it demonically possessed?

May be :)

> No, I am probably incompetent here. I woke up this morning with almost max
> memory usage which was solved by just closing the FF for TW (I use FF dev
> ed for browsing). I'd prefer to only close the browser when I've got an
> excellent reason.
>

> I may just eventually move to the NPM version, but I've experienced other
> kinds of problems with it.

hmmm ... This only adds to "the moving targets". So I don't think that will
change anything.

-mario

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/2b947155-5443-4156-87a6-25051d1183b0%40googlegroups.com.