Dave, when answering before I glossed over that bit about rendering tabs as
something else. That is not so easy. I'm pretty sure it can be done but
that is not so easy.

The bullets before each paragraph is simple though and that idea with
"tiddler of certain type" is almost fulfilled; you toggle it by tagging the
tiddler (in this case tag "bull"). Here's the stylesheet:

title: Stylesheet/bullets
tages: $:/tags/Stylesheet
text:
[data-tags*="bull"] .tc-tiddler-body p:before {
  content:"⦁";
  margin-left:1.5em;
  margin-right:.7em;
}