Thomas Clark wrote:

> Can you elaborate on 3,5, & 6? I feel like I understand what you mean but
> I'm still have a difficult wrapping my head around it and what are the
> purpose and what would the outcome  be for?

Thomas Clark - when I read your question, I immediately wrote the answer
for 3:

*3) tags for keeping track of excised data for transclusion back into the
original*

As TonyM explains in Searching Tiddlers with transcluded content
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/tiddlywiki/SpSVHc1ZLYE/3C36TfRyBwAJ>

My understanding is, when you have a main tiddler that brings in smaller
pieces by transclusion, tagging those smaller pieces with the title of the
main tiddler keeps a reference point. Then if you do a search at some
point, and the small tiddler matches the search, but not the main tiddler.
You open the small tiddler, but it is not really in its proper context - in
reality you want to see it within its main tiddler. How would you find the
main tiddler its transcluded into without a reference? If the smaller
pieces are tagged with the title of the main tiddler - viola!

This is what I understood from TonyM's message. I do think such kind of
"direct reference" tags (they are like pointers to where the tiddler is
transcluded) could be differentiated from other tags. In fact, it might
make more sense to have such "connections maintained" in fields - but
updating/maintaining fields feels more cumbersome than tags. Plus - when
renaming a main tiddler title - TW can auto rename the tags in its
"children." Plus tags are visible.

Then I started to try and understand what I had meant by the highly broad
and abstract terms of "Groups" and "Categories" - which I believe now I
just used to make the list as an idea of having many different kinds of
prefixes on tags. Anyway, I tried to define them clearly for myself -
looked at the structure of my main TW, my Toc, the tags I was using, and
also of the folders hierarchy on my hard drive where I keep all my
reference files.

I started to write down the answer, and within 10 minutes I was going round
in circles. Thus reading bimlas' message made me smile. Perhaps this is not
the right way to look at it.

I will think about it some more.

As for *"what would the outcome  be for?"* ... Since tags are being used
for different functions, I think I wanted a way to differentiate what
purpose the tag is being used for - just like the system tags are.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/5cf37e05-0595-49cf-a5d0-718b72e884d1%40googlegroups.com.