Let us consider the possibilities.

If we are looking for a solution external to browser, there is a couple of
issues.

First, TW5 does not store the save path anywhere in its body and rightly so.
This means there is no way for any solution to know where to move the latest
TW5 file to. So it comes down to the user to tell the saving program where to
save the wiki. Best case scenario, user has to create a settings file outlining
which html file to move where. User has to do this for every wiki he ever uses
and will have to edit it everytime he moves wiki or  renames it. More
importantly, power shell or bash cannot be the language of choice for this
because that would mean separate scripts for  different platforms, which would
defeat the purpose of creating a unified solution (and pardon me Oh Lord, for I
just called power shell a language). Node and Python are options. However,
windows users might need specially created executables with third party
softwares, while Linux and Mac users would need to install the said languages
just to run the script, sometimes specific version of the said languages (looks
at python intendly).   That would leave us with C family, Rust or Go to write
up a cross platform solution.

Oh did I mention user also have to remember to start up the program every time
he launches the wiki. Consider someone who uses Dropbox folder to sync his
TW5s. One day he forgot to start up the saver script as he had a lot in mind.
He reaches office only to realise that all his edits from home exist only in
the download folder of his home PC. Boy! would he ditch such a solution  a fast.

For what it is worth, there is an existing solution resolving atleast some of
the issues I mentioned above  and that is Tiddlyserver. In tiddlyserver, you
can mention entire folders in the settings file, so that even if you rename the
file, it would save on merit of being in the directory.  If you are up for
installing node js and want one solution to work across your devices, and is
confident that you will remember to start the server everytime, you do not need
to look further than Tiddlyserver. However Tiddlyserver is more of a solution
for those who already bought into the ecosystem. You need to install node,
manually edit the JSON settings files and all. For anyone attempting to create
such a solution in future, I would recommend TOML instead of JSON for settings
file to provide a less  jarring user experience.

Finally there is the issue of resolving name conflicts. How to set that logic.
Let us assume I have a TW5 named "tiddlywiki.html". The logic would be as
follows.

Script should watch the download folder, whenever a file named
"tiddlywiki.html" appears in the folder, it should move the file to a proper
location. So you save your TW5,  "tiddlywiki.html" appears in download folder
and is moved to its location, overwriting the file there. All good so far.
However, after working for a couple of hours, you go and download the official
tiddlywiki.html from tiddlywiki.com. Guess what just got overwritten?

Now change the name tiddlywiki.html with something like "annual reports.html"
and you will understand the gravity of the situation. Even if set up a proper
back up solution to prevent losing works entirely, it doesn't discount the fact
that files will end up in unintended folders.

My point is, it would be logically unreasonable to think that any Tiddlywiki
user would have more number of browsers than the number of Tiddlywiki html
files. So even if we create solutions that would require separate set up per
browser, it would take 2 or maximum 3 set ups per user. While powershell
scripts and the like would take repeated manual intervention from the user, way
more error prone and would be in general a hack.  It would be my pleasure to be
proven wrong. Who knows, TW5 could be the frontrunner for powershell
renaissance.

Sincerely,
Riz

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/fdaeef30-e0eb-46ea-ad71-d06a9e330a5e%40googlegroups.com.