Hello Danielo,

When I started with tiddlyDrive project it was very clear on my mind that I
> did not want to create a syncAdaptor. The main reason is because the
> syncadaptors are focused on server side, so unless the server is running on
> your own machine you end up with nothing. I wanted to provide a way to sync
> your wiki across different devices and computers. I started with something
> not too ambitious but useful: uploading and downloading single tiddlers. I
> want to maintain the philosophy of tiddlywiki: you own your data and it is
> self contained.

yes, almost like backups. You make a backup (upload) and only if you want
it, you load it again. And all the current data is at the running system.

> The syncadaptors forget about the second Idea, and that is what I wanted
> to avoid with TDrive: I want your tiddlers to be INSIDE your wiki, and if
> you want to, sync them to the server, but the wiki file should be the main
> store for that.

i get it

> What we are describing here starts to look like a syncadaptor (in fact to
> recommended me to review its code, something that I though about also) and
> that scares me a bit.

yes, now I understand what you envision. This is *not* synchronization but
more like backups or sharing (pushing) tiddlers to a certain place.

> After saying that:
>
> Hmm, I don't think so. You can only do this by passing <<currentTiddler>>
>> as an argument to the widget and reading that argument later with
>> getAttribute(). But this only works if the widget is inside a tiddlers body
>> (text). If you create a widget in the tiddler's menu, you cannot get the
>> current tiddler and pass it as an argument.
>

> I have to review the code of my encrypt plugin. It is on the control
> tiddler bar and it access the current tiddler, I think.

please do so once you have time :)

> Of course I do. A long time ago I developed a couple of widgets on the
> browser and it was a nightmare.

:)

> yes, this is a good idea, however the drawback is you lose fulltext search
>> and fields
>

> Only until you download it. If I'm not mistaken, syncadaptors does
> something similar.

At least you can search by title. It's better than nothing, and after you
> download it you have the full tiddler and can keep it on your TW. This
> makes  me thing in another point: when you have a tiddler uploaded  on the
> server but you keep it on your TW also, how do you know when you should
> download a new version? Maybe we should ask the server if there is a newer
> version of the tiddlers that we have and display a small info under the
> title: there is a newer version of this tiddler.

I think it is good that you try to be clear about what your plugin should
provide. Better one tool for one thing than a bloated multitool.

Here are my thoughts.

   - If you think of your program as "backup (upload) and restore
   (download)" mechanism (just a way to interpret your plugin), then there is
   *never* a new version on the server. and the download only restores an
   older version. Instead of bacups, you can think of a sharing mechanism
   where you only push changes to a server and people may read them if they
   want, but no active syncing from the server.
   - Checking for new versions: this would go in the direction of syncing,
   not backup. Then you would say, the tiddler on the server got updated from
   another machine and now all machines need to show the update.

> yes this is a good idea. maybe a button next to the normal save button
>> that says (in a symbolic way) upload all changes now.
>

> That is exactly what I was thinking about.

nice

> This is all very difficult :)
>

> Indeed, but fun :)

wait till it grows bigger :)