Hi Mat

> On 7 Aug 2017, at 16:55, Mat <matiasg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jeremy Ruston wrote:
>
> unify tiddlers and variables.
>
> Whoaaa! That sounds conceptually huge!
>

> Pulling back up to your original question, the issue we'd now have is how to
> name those tiddlers that are acting as variables. Simple names like
> "currentTiddler” wouldn't be great because we'd be stomping all over the
> users tiddler name space. One solution would be to use a prefix for
> variables, such as "$:/variable/currentTiddler".
>
> A few thoughts, probably based on misunderstanding from my side:
>
> a) Is there anything within the $:/ name space that would not be a variable?
> Shouldn't just "$:/" suffice?

Err under this proposal, “variables” are just tiddlers whose value is different
across the widget tree. We haven’t turned every tiddler into a variable, we’ve
turned variables into a special type of tiddler.

The idea of a naming convention is so that users can easily distinguish between
tiddlers intended to be used as variables, and those intended for ordinary use.

> b) ...because wasn't a main point with the shadow tid cascade analogy that
> overwriting tids use the exact same title as the shadow tid?

That is correct.

> I.e that we should not have to name the tiddlers that act as variables in any
> particular way but that they instead are always treated as variables but with
> a fallback to a constant value (i.e the tiddler itself... or maybe tiddler
> content).

See my explanation above; we’re talking here about the adoption of a convention
to make life easier for users.

> c) Are you saying there must exist a tiddler in order for it to be a variable?

This proposal is about changing the way that tiddler storage works so that we
can use tiddlers for the same purpose that we presently use variables.

> If yes, in the case of a currentTiddler variable, maybe the fallback physical
> tid would be a default tiddler?

There’s no concept of (or need for) a “fallback physical tiddler”.

> Can it not simply be a missing tiddler? Or just a dummy tiddler. Or the way
> it is currently; the historylist with a "variable field" for current... but
> maybe that breaks the concept…?

I’m not quite clear what you mean here.

> Then the difference between {{Foo}} and <<Foo>> would be that the latter
> would be equivalent to {{$:/variable/Foo}}.
>
> Couldn't e.g {{Foo}} cover everything? -

Yes, that’s exactly it; I was proposing the angle brackets syntax as a shortcut
for transcluding tiddlers with a particular prefix to their title. The idea is
to allow us to use long tiddler titles for variables (that won’t clash with the
users tiddler titles) while being able to refer to them without typing the
entire name.

> The system checks to see if Foo is a variable, in which case you get that
> value. Not variable - go up the tiddler store stack to check if there is a
> macro named so... get evaluated macro. Last fallback, tidder : transclusion.

I think you’re making a different proposal, which would be equivalent to
merging the variable and tiddler name space, which is exactly what I’m trying
to involve.

> I.e only one kind of brackets and one name.

Right, I think that’s what my proposal does.

> System vars/macros/tids treated the same way but always have prefix $ or
> similar.

I’m not sure what you mean here,

Best wishes

Jeremy