Jed Carty wrote:

> I am working on the external server component needed by Bob to make it
> into the optional nodejs server component we had discussed as an extension
> of twederation. [...]

While pondering over how to interpret this I realized I have this basic
question:

With a public TW based on "TW on node.js", or Bob, is it possible *for a
visitor* to access individual tiddlers (.tid files) or is the output always
an "integrated" wiki? I mean, can somehow individual tiddlers (or sets of
tiddlers) be extracted directly from where they are served? I believe the
now defunct Tiddly*Space* (based on TiddlyWeb) featured this, right?

If this single tid extraction is possible then this would of course speed
up fetching. Considering how Bob can convert single file TWs into
individual tiddlers then this would in deed be very exciting!

For anyone reading this who is not familiar with TWederation: While the
basic "federated wiki" idea is to allow individual wikis to fetch tiddlers
from other peoples wikis, one additional idea - at least in TWederation -
is to have a central server hosting a directory over all public wikis (as
reported by the wiki owner or by anyone else). The server frequently roams
all connected wikis for updates and can potentially fetch these updates and
serve them on the server. The public directory also lets users directly
find TWs to "subscribe" to directly, i.e without going via the server. The
server could also function as what you see on the current TWederation
tiddlyspot, i.e as a hub for e.g discussions - or for any of the bullets
listed in the OP.

I am not sure if this counts as a basic implementation because it requires
> an external server and setting up SSL, but with the server in place we
> should be able to make plugins that let single file wikis connect to this
> server (or other servers running similar code) as a method of sharing
> tiddlers natively.

Well, if it enables "sharing of tiddlers" then maybe there is no need - or
at least much less need - for what I refer to as the basic implementation.

I have been in the US to get married so I have been working slowly.

Hey! Congrats man!

Also some other work is picking up so I don't know how quickly I will be
> working on any of this.

If the code is public (...and I guess somewhat documented/commented) then
maybe others could fiddle with it...?

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/1161e1e7-6191-4fb0-8a5c-a104b3c327df%40googlegroups.com.