I'm unfortunately swamped with work, thus my absence here. Sorry for that.

However, as part of my work I found a use case that I figured is worth
reporting because it should be a rather common one:

I have to go through several books and in doing so I take out notes and
quotes. I want to refer to these snips by the page they can be found at. It
is common practice to refer to a page using the abbreviation "p." or "pp."
(not sure what pp stands for?).

It would thus be convenient if one can someone use this for the markup. I'm
not sure about the latest developments here but the natural way to document
such snips would be either of e.g:

pp30 Subsequent text
p30 Subsequent text
pp.30 Subsequent text
p.30 Subsequent text

- or for multiple pages -

pp30-35 Subsequent text
p30-35 Subsequent text
...etc

The "output" needs to display the Subsequent text but also the page
number/s.

Maybe the current implementation in this thread is spot on, I don't know
because I have lost track (again, sorry). I'm just reporting this because
it is a use case we can expect. Because it is note-taking, it has to be
really smooth and minimally distracting to make the actual note.

(Some may argue that such snips ought to be individual tiddlers. Not only
is that another discussion so let's not get in to it - but the (native) UI
for creating individual tiddlers is definitely not smooth enough for live
note taking.)

OK, just a report from IRL.

<:-)