Mario,

Perhaps I should have emphasised obtain or  build our own WOFF file for a
last resort font.

In the Katex plugin the
$:/plugins/tiddlywiki/katex/fonts/KaTeX_Math-Italic.woff
<https://anthonymuscio.github.io/empty-pre-release.html#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Ftiddlywiki%2Fkatex%2Ffonts%2FKaTeX_Math-Italic.woff>
 tiddler
is only 30kb in size.

Regards