If you are using a display manager (gdm, etc.) then it will log you out if the
WM crashes or exits. However, not everyone uses a display manager. If you are
running the X server as a standalone application, then I think it will remain
running if the WM crashes. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Personally, I find the
approach of auto exiting Xvnc more palatable, but those who want to do that
still can. It just won't be the default.