My assertion that 'vncserver -fg &' would produce the same behavior was
incorrect.  If I did that, then pressing Enter would stop the job.  I
had to also close STDIN to make it work correctly.  Further, whenever
-fg is used, I adopted Martin's method of automatically killing Xvnc,
since otherwise, if you did 'vncserver -fg &' followed by 'vncserver
-kill', it would generate an error message (the vncserver script, which
was still running in the background, was trying to find the PID file,
but it no longer existed.)

r4359 should work as advertised.