On 12/13/13 7:16 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> Who are you asking?  Me?  I've moved on already, so don't do anything just
> on my acount.
>
> Also, I guess I'm confused about something.  One of the reasons... actually
> the main reason why I stareted my experimenting with TigerVNC in particular,
> out of all of the myriad different flavors of VNC that are, apparently,
> available, is that I saw someplace that RedHat was behind this project,
> or at least was involved.  So I thought to myself "Good!  That is a big
> enough company that they will probably care if it doesn't work right."
>
> But based on your posting, I am gathering that I may have made a few too
> many assumptions (about the possibility that TigerVNC might be a heavily
> supported project).

Red Hat was one of the founding members of the project.  They had a
representative (Adam) who contributed a lot to TigerVNC in the early
days, then (in 2012, IIRC) he announced that he wasn't going to be
working on TigerVNC anymore.  Supposedly, someone else at Red Hat took
over the job of maintaining TigerVNC for use in Fedora and Red Hat
Enterprise, but that person has not (to my knowledge) ever introduced
themselves to the TigerVNC developers or contributed any code.  Thus, I
think it's fair to say that Red Hat is no longer actively involved in
the development of TigerVNC.

Red Hat's primary goal was always to replace the old (and no longer
supported) RealVNC Free Edition code that was the basis of the VNC
server in Fedora and RHEL.  They weren't interested in doing anything
too advanced with it, and in fact, they never did adopt TigerVNC 1.2 at
all.  Because TigerVNC 1.2+ relies on a custom version of FLTK, there
were technical and political hurdles to getting it into Fedora, so Red
Hat stuck with 1.1.0 for a while.  Only recently has Fedora moved to the
1.3 branch of TigerVNC-- Fedora 18 and 19 used an alpha version, and
TigerVNC 1.3.0 is now available in Rawhide (which will become Fedora
20.)  Supporting these newer versions of TigerVNC necessitated building
a special FLTK package for Fedora that contains the TigerVNC patches.

The VirtualGL Project (which I run) was also one of the founding members
of TigerVNC, but I no longer actively participate in development,
although I do still monitor the mailing lists.  My goal was initially to
use TigerVNC as a next-gen replacement for TurboVNC, but ultimately it
proved easier, both technically and politically, to just move TurboVNC
forward instead.  There has been some cross-pollination between the
projects, though.  Most notably, TigerVNC inherited many of TurboVNC's
performance enhancements, and TurboVNC inherited TigerVNC's flow control
extensions and its Java viewer.

Cendio AB (makers of the ThinLinc remote desktop product) were the third
founding member, and they are still actively developing TigerVNC.
Because ThinLinc does not have a windows server, Cendio's focus is on
the Unix/Linux server and on the FLTK viewer, and they have contributed
almost all of the changes to those code bases since TigerVNC 1.2.  Both
Cendio and The VirtualGL Project support Windows apps by running a
virtual machine on a Linux server, and thus it's hard for either one of
us to make a solid business case for investing in WinVNC.

Brian Hinz is the other primary developer these days, focused mainly on
the Java viewer, but he also took over from me the job of releasing all
of the TigerVNC project binaries.