Le 15/07/2011 07:57, Poul-Henning Kamp a écrit :
<snip>
Everybody but the time-lords have always been told to stay away from
TAI in the strongest possible terms by said time-lords, who again and
told the world to use UTC.

The time lords are not completely deaf. For more than 10 years there has been debate about whether or not to revert to a TAI scale, but consensus has never been obtained. There are three requirements for time transmission that the current system supports in recommendation ITU-R TF.460-6 which the americans are trying to vote out.

1. SI second ticks
2. corrections to UTC for earth rotation , DUT1, so that UT1 can be calculated. 3. A civil time scale, UTC which is a descendant of GMT and roughly measures the mean solar day. One or other , if not both, figure in all the legal codes of the planet. The definition of 3 ensures that there are 86400 +/-1 ticks per mean solar day . This is quite useful as my watch and just about everyone else's measures days in 86400 units .

The proposed change to ITU-R TF.460-6 provides 1 but removes 2 and 3. Sheer folly to my mind.

The current recommendation is good for another 2-300 years .

So in my humble opinion, the proposition for change should be rejected until consensus be achieved and that ALL three above requirements are met.